2023 Smith Scholars
2023 Smith Scholarship Boot Camp
MEET THE PRESIDENT!
Smith Scholars attending JSU received recognition for their participation in the Smith Programs demonstrating academic excellence, volunteer work, and leadership activities.
JSU President Dr. Don Killingsworth, Jr. and several members of the Administration dined with the Scholars and Foundation personnel.
President Killingsworth promised the students additional events in the future to continue Scholar Team Activities.
2023 Professional Seminar
The Buff Bridge Scholarship
Smith Scholarship Foundation is pleased to announce
The Mary Jo Buff Bridge Scholarship for Upward Bound
students who have successfully participated in the local, federally funded college preparedness program in the amount of $400,000.
The scholarship honors Mary Jo Buff, a long-time volunteer on the Board of Trustees of the Smith Scholarship Foundation. Ms. Buff worked with Upward Bound and UM Trio Program in multiple capacities for years.
She still continues to assist students by tutoring and providing assistance on college and scholarship applications.
Ms. Buff has devoted her lifetime of work to serving the first-generation and low-income students of the area. Her personal dedication to students and their success has no bounds. The deep love and appreciation of her students demonstrate how many lives she has touched providing mentorship for personal and academic needs.
To aid the Upward Bound students who successfully complete the Bridge Program, Smith will provide scholarships and grants to fill the gap in the student’s existing financial aid and create a Bridge – “Buff’s Bridge.” Smith has pledged $100,000 over the next 4 years to provide initial scholarships and renewable opportunities to selected students.
Requirements: Successful Completion of the UM Bridge Program
- Students must be enrolled full-time in a not-for-profit college or university.
- Students must maintain a minimum 2.5 GPA in college to renew this scholarship.
- Students must maintain good academic standing at their college and good standing relatedto their conduct while making substantial progress toward a degree.
- Students are not permitted to take out loans without prior authorization.
- Students must participate in community service and volunteer work that is documented at40 hours a year.
- Students must participate in tutoring and academic success programs offered at their schooland document such applications for renewal of their scholarship.
- Students must complete FASFA Application and have an EFC of less than $5,000.
- Funding will be last-dollar supplemental aid applied after all other financial aid has beenapplied. Awards will be limited to available funding and students’ demonstrated need.
- Awards will be determined by SSF and made or renewed at the sole discretion of SSF.
- This external scholarship is provided by SSF to be used at the student’s selected college oruniversity. Inquiries are to be directed to Ahrian Dudley at Ahrian@smithscholarships.net.